Sunday, July 18, 2010

Follow my hybridizing...coming soon!

I am in the process of creating a new page which will document the journey of a couple of my recent crosses.  The crosses have been made, the seed pods have matured and were recently harvested.

The page will document the life cycle of a hybridizing effort from initial pollination through the final selection of any seedlings worthy of continuing to propagate for potential naming and release.

I think you'll find the page to be both interesting and informative.  The goal of the page is to:

1.  Educate growers on how to successfully make a cross should they want to try it at home;
2.  Educate growers on how to anticipate what the end result of their crosses might be so they can strive for a specific result;
3.  Bring awareness to growers on the actual effort required to bring a new variety to market.

4 comments:

  1. I personnonally know how difficult hybridizing is! Can't wait to see your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be a learning experience for everyone! Hopefully by the time we reach the end state here people will have gained an appreciation for the time required to develop something worthy of being released.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When?? I keep checking everyday and nothing yet! Darryl I can't wait. Your friend, Kurt in Philadelphia!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kurt. I had a crop failure with the last batch. We'll, not as much as a failure as my traveling schedule made me miss a watering cycle and I lost several flats of seedlings. I'll start it again in October. I'll send out an update! Thanks for watching!

    ReplyDelete