Monday, April 12, 2010

Forget what's good..."What's New?" Part III

This variety happens to be on my personal "Most Wanted" list and I'd LOVE to find a leaf or starter plant of it...HINT, HINT!  The description may sound rather ordinary but make no mistake, this plant was a little powerhouse with perfectly symmetrical foliage and a bloom count that was simply remarkable.

Sweet One (H. Pittman) Semidouble rose-pink. Dark green, plain. Semiminiature









This plant was also exhibited at the 1988 AVSA convention in Dallas, TX.  I believe the grower was Linda Bjorkman.

When I was stationed in San Antonio I lived near Ray and Hortense Pittman and exhibited this variety at our local club show, Magic Knight AVS.  While there was much debate over whether my plant should have won Best-in-Show, it was awarded 2nd Best in Show and Best Semiminiature.  When I disbudded it following the show, it had 144 blossoms on it!

After showing it locally, it became quite the staple at the Texas State Convention for a number of years.  I don't recall what happened to my original plant but it somehow managed to slip from my collection.  D'oh!

1 comment:

  1. In 1977 or 1978,while station at Lackland AFB,my wife and I saw an ad where a San Antonio African Violet Club was having their show at a local Mall on the NWest side of San Antonio,so decided to take it in. It was there that I first fell in love with the African Violet,and I immediately to to by one of the prized plants. I bought "Park Avenue" From none other than Hortense Pittman. Over the next couple of years,I can't tell you how many trips we made to her home. Before we left Texas I had over 300 varieties! I had a whole room in our apt for Violet stands with self watering trays!! It was about the time Howard Utz,i believe it was,named a new hybrid "Sundown"I believe it was,anyway it was name after Ray Pittman,and Hortense said it was his knickname. If you see Hortense,tell her Steve and Linda Dubose said hey......haven't seen her since 1979. Glad to hear both are well! I am wanting to buy a few leaves from about 8 or ten special plants.Let me know if you someone that can oblige me. I love ruffle and varigated foliages,but will take plain leaves for an unusually lg bloom! Would just like to have a few around the house again as we are now retired! Thanks! the_duboses@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete