Thursday, April 8, 2010

What's Cooking? or "Pasteurizing your potting mix in the microwave!"

Oh do I get some looks when I start "nuking" my potting mix in the microwave! Yes, it does create a funny smell that I like to describe as "earthy" but it's not so bad...really, it isn't!

As a matter of course I don't pasteurize my potting mix (Premier Pro-Mix BX) when I'm using it to pot up plantlets from leaf cuttings or when I'm transplanting an otherwise established plant.

I do pasteurize the potting mix for my leaf cuttings, when I'm putting down sucker cuttings of chimera starts or sowing seeds that I harvested from my hybridizing efforts.

I learned this microwaving technique quite by accident one day when surfing the TV channels and came across Martha Stewart sowing fern seeds. If you Google "Microwave Pasteurization" you'll find quite a bit of very scientific research that has been accomplished on the topic.

In a microwave safe 2.8 liter container, add 2.8 liters (give or take and not heavily packed) MOISTENED potting mix to the container. Place the lid for the microwave safe container on the container and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Did I mention the potting mix MUST be MOISTENED?

CAUTION: The potting mix will be VERY HOT.

Carefully remove the container from the microwave using heat pads. Remove the lid to allow the potting mix to cool to a temperature that is safe to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment