Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Who's Behind the Name? Pat Champagne

I had only been in San Antonio for a few months, courtesy of the US Air Force, when I attended my first Lone Star African Violet Council (LSAVC) convention.  Having just arrived I didn't have a chance to groom any plants to exhibit so I simply attended the first year as an observer.

What I observed was something I had not seen before; perfectly grown miniatures and semiminiatures that were about 1/3 their normal size.  I was amazed at these oddities.  I quickly learned that they were all grown by a lady in Spring, Texas by the name of Pat Champagne.  It didn't take long for our paths to cross and so I inquired as to how she was able to grow these varieties so small (particularly living in Texas where it's hot and everything grows BIG!).  We'll, to my disappointment there was no secret and she couldn't explain it.  "That's just the way they grow in my house."  Over the years we became good friends and competed against each other every fall at the LSAVC convention.

I haven't seen my old friend in many, many years.  So Pat, if you're still out there...I have a Pat Champagne with your name on it!

 

4 comments:

  1. The secret to keeping minis and semiminis small is to handwater them. Also go easy on the fertilizer. When I grew them on wicks or capillary matting, the leaves always grew too large and the plants grew oversized. Finally, I last saw Pat Champagne at the 1999 AVSA convention and show in Houston, TX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat Champagne lost her battle with cancer this week. She was a very sweet lady and will be missed by her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post and so sad to hear this news. My thoughts to her boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha's sons greatly appreciate Ms. Pittman's astounding write-up and all of the kind words concerning our mother. Her passing was unexpected and she shall forever remain in our hearts. Growing African Violets was far more than a hobby, but more of a true passion and a love for the plant itself. Unfortunately, no "Pat Champagne" bred violet survived. Her three sons dearly request to grow, care for, and continue the life of "Pat Champagne". If you know where to obtain a "Pat Champagne" African Violet then please email her oldest son, Michael, at mat311ramf@hotmail.com. Thank you and may Patricia Tillman forever rest in peace; 22 Aug 1950 - 31 Mar 2012

    ReplyDelete