Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"The Stand"...and I ain't talking about Stephen King's book!

Affordability is definitely relative to your income but here's a great plant stand that I believe can be squeezed into most budgets.

These chrome stands are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes and Costco.  I found Costco in my area to be the cheapest at a cost of $84.00.  The florescent light fixtures were purchased from Home Depot and cost $27.66 each.  The florescent light bulbs were also purchased at Home Depot at a cost of about $5.00 for either two warm white or two cool white.  I do like to use a combination of one warm and one cool white in each fixture.

Note:  The stand actually comes with six (6) shelves.  The one pictured uses five (5) of the six with a shelf spacing of 15".  You notice that the four supporting poles have notches that are at one inch increments.  If you want to grow standard size plants, I'd only use four (4) shelves and increase the shelf spacing to 20".

Total investment (pre-tax) is $214.64.  A professional plant stand that won't grow plants any better than this one can easily cost $800.



No comments:

Post a Comment